Wednesday 30 January 2008

Double-Teaming: Runway Girl and IAG's Addison Schonland Talk to Row 44's John Guidon About Southwest Win, Future Plans

This afternoon, I teamed up with IAG's Addison Schonland to interview Row 44 CEO John Guidon for a podcast.

I thought I had covered everything with John last week, when I spoke with him about Southwest Airlines' decision to trial Row 44's satellite-based connectivity solution onboard four Boeing 737s. It turns out there was more to be said.

In addition to addressing future widebody installations and cellular competition, John discusses air-to-ground (ATG) connectivity (and whether this is likely - or not - to be explored in Europe).

Check out the podcast link here: http://iagblog.podomatic.com/entry/eg/2008-01-30T13_24_17-08_00

Interestingly, proposed "global" air-to-ground connectivity provider AirStellar has updated its web site, saying it is "currently offering validation flights for airlines that wish to enter our demonstration network program".

I must admit I'm still not sure how global ATG is possible (it seems like a bit of an oxymoron) but here's what AirStellar told me in September 2007. I just emailed company director John Page for an interview and the message bounced back. A call is in order me thinks.

(Row 44 logo from http://www.row44.com/)

No comments: